Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Writer's Funk

Feeling a little sad today. I was expecting some form of feedback on the TG Comics forum for my new story. I don't know if the readers there are just tired of self-promotion posts, or if no one cares about my story, but the lack of feedback - positive, negative or indifferent - is more than a little daunting.

I guess I had this idea in the back of my head that I could make some real money on a monthly basis, pay off some debts and within a few years (3 - 5) quit my day job to be a full time writer of TG fiction. After how eager the editors at Reluctant Press were about my writing, then how far out of his way Femur at TG Comics was willing to go to illustrate and post my stories ... well, I just expected my debut on Amazon to go a little better than it has. It's my own fault for letting my hopes get so high, but it still hurts.

For those who have bought my stories there, THANK YOU! Even if you went, looked, and decided not to buy, I thank you for taking the time to visit.

As for me, I'm going to follow-up on my plans to publish more things this summer. After that, I may sulk off for a while to write and consider my options. Quitting my day job to write full time clearly isn't going to happen in the near term like I thought it was going to. To wax melodramatic ...

My dreams have curdled
into stillborn lies
broken and malformed
while my rent heart cries.

So now what? I can't keep doing customer service. It's killing my soul by inches, a death of a thousand paper cuts. School again? Retraining of some sort? Another job with my limited job skills and experience? I just don't know what's going to happen next or why I would want to look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment